I’ve always been a massive fan of Audi’s (and Volkswagens) but when the Audi Q5 came out in 2008, I wasn’t convinced. SUV’s was a new market in the UK and I felt that Audi hadn’t hit the mark with the Audi Q5.
I’m extremely lucky with my job and business that I can get to drive different cars on a weekly basis, no I’m not a delivery driver. It gives me a great insight into what is hot and what is not.
It also helps me when writing articles, updating our websites and when dealing with our customers, I get to give them an honest opinion of a car, its real faults and a few hints and tips.
Here are my top 9 reasons as to why the Audi Q5 is the perfect Medium SUV for the UK market.
- Smaller than its bigger brother, the Audi Q7 and much easier to park. You get 550 litres of boot space, plenty of leg room in the rear and its nice and easy to park with an overhang.
- Although not my favourite engine, the 2.0 TDI but does feel quite smooth for a diesel engine. We got 38mpg on a run in the Peak District from Belper. If I could pick an everyday engine, I’d easily choose the 2.0 TFSI petrol engine.
- Standard S Line Suspension is hard, but ensures you feel stuck to the road like you’re running on a set of rails. Adaptive Air Suspension is an optional extra, but I’d be happy to keep my money in my pocket.
- It’s an extremely comfortable drive, especially when compared to something like a BMW X3. I have done 150 miles in one of these, without stopping. I jumped out the car, like I’d been in the car 10 minutes. Plenty of adjustments on the seat to make it a perfect body fit.
- The MMI navigation system is pretty good, again compared to BMW’s iDrive, I’d opt for Audi’s system day in day out. Opt for the Virtual cockpitand you can display the navigation behind your steering wheel alongside your speedo.
- A small option that most people don’t realise, is that if you opt for the Rear Bench Seat Plus Pack option, you can slide the rear seat bench to give you 610 litres of boot space from 550 litres. A lifesaver for many.
- Expensive to buy but Audi’s reputation for build quality gives this car an ultra strong residual value. PCP’s and Contract Hire really work on these vehicles which in turn provide lower rentals especially for some reason over 24 months on CH.
- Safety is key, especially if you are ferrying your family around and with a 5 star Euro NCAP award you really can’t go wrong. The Q5 gets 6 airbags as standard and you can add a couple more as an option. Automatic Emergency Braking is on this vehicle to protect pedestrians.
- Last but not least, if you really have got a bit of money to burn. Go for the Audi SQ5 — Audi recently swapped the Diesel for the sweet V6 Petrol that produces 349bhp and you can still manage an impressive 30mpg. This is our favourite.
We could list way more than 9 reasons as to why the Q5 is the perfect Medium SUV, but you could find out for yourself.